Chess Magazine - September 2012
The Global Game
by The Chess Magazine Editorial Team
Publisher: Chess & Bridge , 2012
New survey reveals 192 million regular players in the UK, US, Germany, Russia and India
UK's most popular CHESS Magazine - established 1935! All the regular features of the UK's best-selling CHESS magazine plus more!
• British Championships, North Shields - Richard Palliser reports on Gawain Jones’s success in the North East, with Gawain himself annotating his best games
• Biel Festival - Steve Giddins reports on the traditional Swiss tournament, and Wang Hao’s achievement in finishing ahead of Magnus Carlsen
• Interview: Andrew Poulson - John Saunders and Matthew Read meet the man who holds the rights to organising the world championship in the next few years
• Dutch Summer of Chess - Yochanan Afek tours the chess tournaments of the Netherlands - and wonders why more Brits don’t make the trip!
• Chess in the 1980's - John Saunders moves on to the 1980s, and the magazine’s tricky switch from descriptive to algebraic notation
• Study Chess with Matthew Sadler - The genial English GM introduces his exciting new book - plus a fascinating extract from it
• Do you think like an Olympian? - Angus Dunnington ponders the question of what chessplayers can learn from Olympics sports stars